Monday, May 25, 2015

My Summer Reading List, So Far

Summer vacation started for my kids several days ago. I can’t really say it started for me, as I will be working (teaching adult education) during these months, but my schedule will definitely change.

First of all, I now have time to actually read a few books that interest me. Okay, so the first two books are part of my daughter’s summer reading list, but they still looked interesting.

The first one I read was Anthem, by Ayn Rand. The story starts out in a future dystopian society, where everyone works for, and is controlled by, the state. There is no individualism, only collectivism. By the end of the novel, these two are switched around for the main character, and there is only worth in what he wants. It was an interesting read, but I couldn’t really connect with the characters at any point in the book.

Next, I read The Secret Life of Bees, by Sue Monk Kidd. 


I had a really hard time getting past the first few chapters, in which the main character, Lily, suffered harsh treatment at the hands of her violently abusive father. Once Lily escaped, taking her nanny and substitute mother, Rosaleen, with her, and escaped to live with a trio of black bee-keeping sisters, the novel improved tremendously for me. Lily's search for her mother's history leads the reader to a greater understanding of the meaning of motherhood.



From a friend, I borrowed a copy of The Kitchen House, by Kathleen Grissom. This story is set in the antebellum south, and follows the life of an Irish girl who comes to America as an indentured servant. Although Levinia is raised by black slaves, and considers them her family, her white skin rips her away from them, and forces both sides to act in a way dictated by Levinia’s white plantation owner husband. The story unveils the complicated relationships between owners, servants, and slaves, as well as the inherent evils of a society ruled by ownership of other human beings.

I’m not sure what I will do with the rest of the summer, but I have plenty of time to decide. Thanks for reading!

Now take a look at the other posts in the linkup here.

Weekly Summer Linkup



“See” you next time!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...