Sunday, February 28, 2016

U.S. History Resources at Your Fingertips!

Our social studies teacher's manual has all these wonderful links and book suggestions for teaching U.S. history. The problem is, who has time to look them up? When you come home exhausted, with papers to grade, lesson plans to make, and a family who needs your attention, how do you find the time to search out and organize all the extra materials suggested by the book?

Finally I decided to go through the TM chapter by chapter and add all the books, websites, and other links to my Pinterest boards. That way all the enrichment materials would be available in one place for my perusal. I realized that other teachers could probably use the links, too, so here they are.

My Social Studies Boards
This is what my social studies Pinterest boards look like right now. Carol's Garden is my product and blog board for my TpT store, but the next seven boards are reserved for all the links, websites, books, videos, etc. that are suggested by our U.S. history curriculum. Most of them have MANY links and ideas I've come across on my own, as well. 

Economy for Kids
The first history-based board I have is called CG (for Carol's Garden) Economy for Kids. This is where I put all the book titles, videos, and other working links suggested by our text to help teach economic ideas to students. I haven't added much of my own ideas to this board yet, but will as I come across useful material.

CG Early Native Americans and Geography
The second board is currently my favorite! Every geographic term I could find is illustrated, every paleo animal I found is shown, and all the books, websites, videos and other information about Native Americans suggested by our text is linked by pin.

CG Age of Exploration
My third history board includes links to information about the explorers who came to the New World, plus any links I could find to suggested lesson materials for the unit.

CG
CG Colonial America
Colonial America is covered on the fourth board, up to the 1800's.

CG American Revolution
Of course, the fun really starts with my fifth history board, which covers the American Revolution. This is one of my favorite subjects to teach, hands-down. We talk about the men and the women behind the Revolution, the spies, the heroes and the traitors. My students always enjoy this one!

CG Creating the New Nation and Government
The seventh board is one of the most important. These materials are selected to teach students about the U.S. government, explain how it was set up by the Founders, and encourage students to be informed citizens today.

CG New Frontiers and Westward Movement
The growth of the United States from thirteen original colonies to a trans-continental nation is covered on my eight board. Students are encouraged to consider multiple perspectives as they examine the motivations of the Native peoples as well as the U.S. government during this unit of study.

These pictures only show a small fraction of the hundreds of resources pinned to these boards. If you teach American history, you know the value of having all these resources at your fingertips. Anything that can save any teacher's time is valuable. I hope you find these boards, with all their pins, useful to you, as well. I hope you have a fabulous year. :)

"See you" soon!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...