Sunday, November 2, 2014

Carol's Garden November Currently

It's November already?!! Didn't we just have Halloween? Oh, yeah, that's right, we did! Anywho, it's time to join Farley for this month's Currently!


Ever since I saw this video linked to someone else's post last month (sorry, but I don't remember who it was!) I keep heading over to You Tube to watch the outtakes. The beat is catchy, but I love the message even more. Just be yourself, no matter what anyone else thinks. Even the "cool kids" don't feel like they fit in. Don't take yourself, or anyone else, too seriously. I think this is a terrific lesson for everyone to learn.


Of course, we had the time change last night. I can't say that I enjoyed the extra hour of sleep, because, let's face it, moms never get extra sleep! However, I do enjoy the extra hour to get things finished up before we go back to school tomorrow.

Speaking of that extra hour, I need to finish up writing social studies plans for the end of my Ancient People unit. Bleah.

Instead, I want to take the kids and have a play day in the fresh snow we got this weekend in the Great Smoky Mountains. I need the exercise, and it's been sooooo long since we went sledding, but the roads into the park are closed due to the icy conditions.

www.visitmysmokies.com
Since we can't go to the mountains, I've been reading through the news, plus contemplating making one of my favorite recipes: Pumpkin Spice Bread.

Maine Pumpkin Spice Bread http://allrecipes.com/recipe/downeast-maine-pumpkin-bread/
I got this recipe off the internet, but then made a few changes/additions suggested by other readers, plus one change I made myself. Here's the altered recipe, if you want to try it.














Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and sugar  three 7x3 inch loaf pans. (I don't use flour. I sprinkle sugar over the buttered pan instead. I also make one large loaf, plus a dozen muffins, instead of the three loaves listed in the recipe.)
  2. In a large bowl, mix together pumpkin puree, eggs, oil, vanilla, water and sugar until well blended. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger. Stir the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture until just blended. Pour into the prepared pans. For a delicious, sweet, flaky crust, sprinkle granulated sugar over the top of the loaves and muffins, too. Then score the top by swirling lines across the top. This helps prevent the top from becoming one large crust, instead breaking it up into smaller pieces and allowing the top to rise normally.
  3. Bake for about 50 minutes in the preheated oven. (When I make a loaf and muffins, the muffins are done in about 25-30 minutes, while the loaf can take up to an hour-and-a-half. That's perfect for me, as it allows my kids to have some quickly, while the rest is still cooking.) Loaves are done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. The crust, sides, and bottom will be flaky, crunchy, and sweet, while the bread will be moist and delicious. Plus, it will make your whole house smell of spices and having the oven on will make everything cozy and warm. Ah, perfect Fall day!





















I hope you've enjoyed reading this post.Now it's time to see the rest of the linky! Head over to Oh Boy! Fourth Grade and check it out.

Have a wonderful November!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...