Monday, November 10, 2014

Wondering What to Do for Thanksgiving?

It seems like the sugar high that comes with Halloween has barely worn off, and now we're talking about Thanksgiving. Should we go here, or should we go there? Have people over, or contribute to someone else's big day? Ham or turkey? Totally from scratch side dishes, or partially homemade?

Last time on this blog, I shared my favorite pumpkin spice bread recipe. If you missed it, you can check it out here. I'm not sure if I'll make that, or pumpkin pie with homemade whipped cream. Yum!

Everything's Better with Whipped Cream


Of course, it would be easier to get everything ready if I could just make some of the items a day or so ahead of time. There's just one (or should I say two!) problem(s) with that! You see, I have teenagers at home. Well, actually I have one teenage girl, and an almost teenage boy, but since the boy eats as much as a grown construction worker (or a black hole!), I count them both as teenagers. ;)

My Son Eats Like One of These!


Those of you with teenage boys in the house know... it's nearly impossible to keep delicious food in the kitchen. It tends to disappear within hours, if not minutes! Even the plain stuff goes missing. The other night I was going to make tacos, but all the tortillas were gone. When I confronted my son, he admitted he had eaten them, because they were "delicious." Mind you, we have plenty of bread in the house, but I guess it's easier to sneak a bag of tortillas than it is to hide a loaf of bread!

Luckily, I do have a couple of Thanksgiving items ready for my classroom, and these are things my son can't "disappear!"

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Fun-With-Math-Center-Task-Cards-2-3-Digit-Multiplication-937598


The first includes this set of 2-3 Digit Multiplication Math Center Task Cards. They will provide my students with the multiplication practice they need, but allow them to do so independently. They also have adorable Fall and Thanksgiving graphics, which helps keep my students interested.

I also have a new Common Core inspired ELA and Math Print and Go Pack to keep my kiddos busy on standards-based, yet fun classwork. Since about 1/3 of my students will be gone that week, I don't want to introduce new material, but I need to have them practice the material I've already taught. I also need work to send with students who will be absent that week.

ELA and Math Print and Go Pack Thanksgiving and Fall Theme


Since this pack includes enough selections for Reading Comprehension (which I'll also use to have them develop Fluency), Writing, Vocabulary, and Math to last an entire week, the only things I'll have to plan will be when to pull my small groups. The pack even includes some fun puzzles for early finishers, as well as a Fraction Bingo Game for the whole class to play. (Can you say, "Parent Volunteer" anyone?)

I might even have time to catch up on some administrative tasks (a.k.a. paperwork), so that I don't have to take anything home over the break.

Finally, when I think they just need to get out of their seats for awhile and work off some of that pre-holiday energy, I'll use this set of Thanksgiving-Themed Class-Building Cards.

Thanksgiving Class-Building Cards
Students love these, and they help build classroom rapport. Kids get to talk to one another about their Thanksgiving traditions, which builds cultural sensitivity and awareness. Full directions are included.

Of course, after Thanksgiving comes Christmas, and then New Year's. Are you ready?

I would LOVE to hear about some of your plans!

Until next time!

post signature

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...