Monday, June 1, 2015

June Currently 2015

It's time to tell you what I'm doing Currently!




Listening: to Grand Canyon Suite by Grofe. This is one of my favorite works of music of all time. I was fortunate to have a wonderful high school language arts teacher by the name of Mr. Klevos. He taught us to appreciate great works of literature, art, and music from around the world.

During an after school club held in his room he would turn off the lights and have us close our eyes to “see” the story within the music. I still remember visualizing the sun rising over the rim of the canyon, the horse clip-clopping along, and the thunderstorm lighting up the sky.



The influence of this music, and the teacher who shared it with us, are some of the reasons I became a Humanities major in college.

Loving: the chicken soup with dumplings I made in the crockpot yesterday. I used a standard chicken soup recipe with additional spices, then added two cans of Campbell’s Herbed Cream of Chicken Soup once the soup was almost ready. Finally, I created dumplings using the recipe on the side of the Bisquick box, except that I added half a large chopped onion and a lot of poultry spice to the mix before adding it to the top of the soup. It smells wonderful and tastes absolutely delicious!

Chicken Soup with Dumplings, Plus a Glass of Heavily Iced/Watered Down Cranberry Pomegranate Juice


Thinking: about an interview I have this week to work at an open school. (Are you looking for a new job, too? For my series of interview tips, click here.) I really don’t think I’ll get this particular job, since I don’t have any training in that type of teaching environment, but I am curious to see the school and learn more about how it works.

What Does Self-Directed Learning Look Like in a Classroom?

From my online research it appears that open schools emphasize student autonomy and self-directed learning, with the teacher acting as a facilitator. It sounds interesting, and I can’t wait to see it in action!

My own district is already out for the summer, but of you are still in session, you might want to check out a fun little freebie I have posted here. 

Wanting: to lose some weight and get in better shape. Realistically, it’s not happening. Although I lost a few pounds due to my recent bout of stomach flu, I’m a stress eater, and I love my comfort foods!

Dessert, Anyone?


Needing: to get my daughter up so she can take a shower before her doctor’s appointment. Wish me luck, as it’s not fun to wake a teenager on summer vacation!

Wake Up a Sleeping Teenager at Your Own Peril!
Summer Lovin': local trips to Dollywood and Splash Country. I LOVE roller coasters, and Wild Eagle is so fun!



I also want to take my teenagers to Splash Country, which is Dollywood’s water park. We haven’t been there yet, but I want to change that this summer.


Finally, I hope to travel to Murfreesboro, TN on July 28-29 to help Michele Martin-Luck with a display booth representing/featuring a group of Teachers Pay Teachers authors-sellers. Michele travels all around the country setting up TpT booths at educational conferences. I participate through her (and her husband, Steve), but this conference will be close enough for me to visit. (I hope!)

Conferences with Michele Martin-Luck

Thank you for reading my June Currently! Head over to Farley’s linkup at Oh Boy Fourth Grade to read more posts by some of your favorite teacher-authors. Please consider donating to a worthy cause while you're there!


Linkup Here


Before you go, take a look at my sidebar for other topics that might interest you. Please consider following me on Bloglovin’, Instagram, and TpT, too! 


“See” you next time!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...